Lendesk is looking to add another member to our small design team. No jokes, it’s really small—you would be number three. Before this year is out, we may add one or two more members, but we’re in no hurry. We believe that our small size is an asset because it keeps us nimble, and doesn’t require of us a lot of management.
We do most of our product work with a team of Software Developers, a Project Manager, Quality Assurance Leads, and our CEO. Sometimes we do work that isn’t directly related to our products, like interactive and print work for marketing purposes, or collaboration on internal memes and other cultural initiatives. We like a little variety, and maybe you do, too.
Speaking of products, ours is a growing collection of tools which help mortgage industry professionals get their work done with way less hassle. We’ve got one core web product, supported by two supplemental web products. There are also iOS and Android versions of our core mobile product.
Because we’re small, there’s not a lot of room for specialization—you are the UX Researcher, UI Designer, Copywriter, Visual Designer, and Usability Testing Lead on every project you touch. And because we don’t do a lot of big process, we really appreciate it when you’re not only able to communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly, but when you’re also able to help others do the same.
We like working here for a growing number of reasons, not the least of which is the autonomy we have already mentioned, but also for our deliberate and principled approach to our daily work; our five principles of product design, critique agenda, testing methodology, and comprehensive symbol libraries form the foundation of our practice. These tools help keep our work consistent and on-brand, and we love getting together for weekly workshops to review and evolve them.
We also love our fresh new Yaletown office—complete with all the brick and beam you can handle—and our weekly Designer’s Lunch sorties to any of the hundreds of lunch spots nearby. We keep a small but growing library on design topics stocked with actual books. If whiteboards are your thing, we’ve got you covered—pretty much every wall that isn’t made of brick is covered in whiteboard paint.
Fresh, healthy snacks, a generous benefits plan, and genuine focus on personal development round out our favourite things about working at Lendesk. Maybe, in time, we can add your favourites to the list as well.
This is a full-time position in our Vancouver office. You'll be expected to keep normal-ish work hours and show up mostly on time.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills. Seriously. This is first on the list for a reason.
- 2+ years of experience doing design in a software development environment.
- Skill in a variety of design and related disciplines, from straight-up graphic design, to mobile interface design (to name only two).
- Prototyping chops—Principle, InVision, or otherwise.
- Proficiency in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, and other drawing tools.
- Flexibility—we try new stuff all the time, some of it works better than others.
- Portfolio featuring examples of design work.
- Small, nimble, and experienced design team, with a solid philosophical foundation.
- Leadership that embraces failure, and values learning.
- New, starty-uppy office in Yaletown. Barely any carpet.
- We see personal development as an investment, not a cost.
- Generous benefits plan (Dental, Massage, Chiro, Acupuncture, Prescription Coverage, Naturopath).
- Fresh, healthy snacks.